Find a unique place to rest your head on a trip to the Tacoma area this winter. Visit Travel Tacoma for itineraries including mountains, a train ride, ghost tours, beverage tastings and more.
Make a Mountain Moment
- Stay: Book a cottage near Mount Rainier for access to winter sports. The Wild Bird cottage has a pine wood interior with a cozy fireplace.
- Stay: Catch snow-covered views of Mount Rainier, Mount Adams and Mount St. Helens at a hut inspired by the hut-to-hut system in the Alps. It’s a 4-5-mile backcountry hike to each hut.
- Play: Make the holidays a magical experience aboard the annual Polar Express Train Ride. Perfect for kids, the round-trip train ride is a 90-minute theatrical experience.
- Play: Explore Crystal Mountain’s natural beauty and sample sips at Crystal Mountain Resort’s Snowshoe & Sip Series.
Bustle Around Urban Tacoma
- Stay: Rest your head at Thornewood Castle, a 15th century English manor that’s rumored to be haunted. Fun fact: the manor was featured in Stephen King’s film “Rose Red.”
- Play: Explore downtown Tacoma with Pretty Gritty Tours. The many guided walking tour options range from antique row to sweet shops to a “Boos and Booze” ghost tour that ends at a local brewery.
- Play: Winter snacks aren’t limited to hot cocoa and peppermint bark. Get a taste of s’mores:
- Roast tableside s’mores at Camp Bar
- Dig into s’mores pie at Puget Sound Pizza
- Taste s’mores from Legendary Donuts
Find a New Favorite in Puyallup
- Stay: Get the farm-friendly feel close to town when you stay at Cockrell Hard Ciders in Puyallup, steps away from their orchards and cider tasting room.
- Play: Tour the Meeker Mansion, built in 1890; visit in February for a Valentine’s Day tea.
Stay the Night in a Treehouse
- Stay: Take in Puget Sound views at a waterfront treehouse in Gig Harbor, complete with kayaks and a hot tub. Available on Airbnb.
- Play: Bundle up and take to the water in a Venetian gondola. Gig Harbor Gondola can take up to five people on a cruise around the scenic harbor.