Stressing over food planning for the holidays? Chill! The frozen and dairy aisles of your local grocery stores are full of hacks, shortcuts and holiday helpers to make preparations easier, less stressful, and more enjoyable for holiday events, family gatherings and even unexpected guests.
Holiday Shortcut Cooking Series
The National Frozen and Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA) is sharing a Holiday Shortcut Cooking series throughout December – helping you to assemble a meal, snack, appetizer or dessert without making everything from scratch. Follow NFRA’s Easy Home Meals Instagram for these recipes, hacks, tips and more.
Delicious Breakfast –Waffles with Spiced Apple Compote
Start with Frozen Waffle – combine apples, sugar, lemon and spices in saucepan and top toasted waffle.
Tasty Appetizer – Caprese Meatballs
Start with Frozen Meatballs – heat and assemble with basil and mozzarella on toothpick. Serve with marinara sauce.
Creative Pizza – Pizza with Turkey Sausage and Veggies
Start with Frozen Pizza – top with turkey sausage, frozen spinach, pesto and bake.
Delectable Dessert – Blueberry Pie with Yogurt Topping
Start with Frozen Blueberry Pie – bake and serve with vanilla Greek yogurt topping.
Holiday Helper Hacks
Take a fresh look at the freezer aisle where you will find real food (just frozen!), nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables (no chemical preservatives), perfectly portioned meals and snacks (no waste) and natural and organic selections for every dietary need. Look beyond the staples in the dairy aisle and see the creative possibilities in the many diverse and versatile products.
- Shop early to beat the holiday crowds and stock your refrigerator and freezer full!
- Have plenty of cheeses on hand – they make great appetizers for impromptu get-togethers and unexpected holiday guests.
- Keep handy pre-cooked shrimp, meatballs, quiche, wings, eggrolls and more—they take only minutes to prepare and can be served in festive holiday dishes.
- For holiday mornings, stock up on waffles, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, bagels, yogurts and fruits.
- Pizza supplies are a must – out of the freezer, into the oven and ready to serve in minutes.
- For fast dinner plans, the frozen aisles offer a variety of fully prepared entrées—just heat and serve on busy shopping nights.
- And don’t forget the sweetest parts of the season – impress with homemade-quality frozen pies, cakes, ice cream, pastries and cookies that are sure to please!
Visit NFRA’s Easy Home Meals Blog for more recipes, tips and valuable information on frozen and refrigerated foods.