At our company, United Digital, our major focus is strengthening internet presence for our clients that results in awareness and sales. There are a number of ways to accomplish these results – social media marketing, video production and promotion, SEO, branding — just to name a few. Today we’re going to talk about one of the first steps – Search Engine Optimization.
Sponsored: Learn more about Joe Wehinger and United Digital and Associates here.
Optimizing your site is critical to making sure that people are able to easily find you. People only look at the first page of Google search results. If you are on the second page, your chances of people clicking are significantly limited. If you on on the third page, virtually no one will look at the results. Not only do you have to be on the first page, but you want to be at the top of the first page if you want maximum results. Here are seven things you must do right now to make sure that your site is receiving top billing on Google and the rest of the search engines:
- Learn Google inside and out! While you want to make sure that you have a high ranking on all of the search engines, Google has so much of the market share that it is imperative you have a site that meets their guidelines. Failure to do so can result in your being listed low in the search results, or worse being removed from the Google search listing entirely. Make sure you set up Google Search Console, create a Google+ page for your site, and invest in Google Analytics. You also need to review the Google SEO Starter Guide very carefully.
Sponsored: United Digital and Associates specializes in social media, video production, website design. Learn more here!
- Make sure you stick to one central theme in your site title, domain name, description, keywords, taglines, blog categories, and page content.
- Make sure you use permalinks that include keywords. Do not have random numbers in your page titles. Search engine will have a much harder time finding you. You want every page on your site to have one or two words that describe exactly what it is. (Ex: http://www.snagajob.com/about/careers/)
- Make sure your website is updated frequently. Websites with current, constantly changing content always rank higher than sites that are not updated. Make sure your prices, contact info, staff bios, blog posts and other content are always current and updated.
Sponsored: Find more inspiration and life hacks — visit DAILY OVATION ENTREPRENEUR
- Do not assume that your website will be automatically updated in the search engines. Most of the time this is the case, but sometimes it doesn’t happen as quickly as it should. If you have a critical deadline or product launch, you should not leave this to chance. Make sure that your site has been added to Google, Bing and Yahoo. You can do this directly if the search engines have not yet picked it up automatically. If you need more information on how to add your sites to the search engines.
- Do all you can to make sure other sites are linking to your content. The best way to make sure this happens is 1) keep your site updated frequently and 2) have timely, relevant high-quality content. If you sell a lot of items make sure you have a descriptive, standalone order page (see tip 3). If other people refer to you a lot, the search engines will take that as a sign you are providing value and you will see your rankings rise significantly. If you are getting started, include your URL in all your social networking pages and reach out to friends and colleagues and ask them to link to your content.
- Pick a domain name, and stick with it! Older sites rank much higher than newer sites, provided they are being updated regularly (see tip 4). Do your research before hand to make sure your domain name is relevant, accurately describes your brand, and is original. If you are constantly renaming your site or launching one right after another, your rankings will suffer considerably.