Penfolds & GQ Magazine Return with Second Annual Search for North America’s “Best Dressed Somm”
Penfolds, Australia’s leading winemaker, is delighted to once again partner with GQ Magazine, the premier men’s magazine for style and culture, and launch the second annual joint search for the “Best Dressed Somm” of 2015. Until September 30, 2015, wine professionals employed in the U.S. and Canada as sommeliers, also referred to as “somms,” are encouraged to submit their most dapper photos on Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #BestDressedSomm for a chance to win the coveted title of Penfolds and GQ‘s Best Dressed Somm 2015.
“In top restaurants across North America, modern day sommeliers challenge traditional wine attitudes and rules and set new trends in wine and style,” said DLynn Proctor, Penfolds U.S. Winemaking Ambassador. “A somm’s personal style is about exploring and knowing how to choose, and as a fellow somm I’m excited to be part of Penfolds’ and GQ‘s celebration of style as a component of the total wine experience.
Last year, New York City’s A.J. Ojeda-Pons was crowned Best Dressed Somm in the first year of the competition. A.J. was selected by a group of esteemed judges for his unique style point of view and an eye for bespoke tailoring. This year’s judging panel includes GQ Executive Stylist Brett Fahlgren, top chef and frequently named “best dressed” style guru Marcus Samuelsson, and designer Rachel Roy.
Somms can participate and submit their photo nominations via:
- Instagram: Follow Penfolds on Instagram; then post a photo with both @Penfolds AND @GQ handles, plus the #BestDressedSomm hashtag. Somm Instagram account must be set such that your posts are public and thus viewable to Penfolds.
- Twitter: Follow Penfolds on Twitter; then, upload and Tweet a photo with both @Penfolds AND @GQMagazine handles, plus the #BestDressedSomm hashtag. Somm Twitter account must be set such that your Tweets are public and thus viewable to Penfolds.
- Penfolds.com: For a chance to become this year’s “People’s Choice” entrant, somms may encourage fans to visit and ‘like photos’ highlighted in the Best Dressed Somm gallery on the website (Penfolds.com/GQBestDressedSomm).
At the close of the submission period, Penfolds and GQ will select and invite the top five finalists to don their finest digs and attend an exclusive judging event and winner announcement at the Penfolds House on Wednesday, October 21, 2015 in NYC.
“At GQ, we are thrilled to once again join forces with Penfolds to recognize the impact sommeliers have on shaping wine and style trends,” said GQ Executive Stylist, Brett Fahlgren. “The Best Dressed Somm judges will analyze photo entries for outfit appearance and styling, attention to detail – including proper fit, how well the somm’s clothes and accessories work together, the accessory choices themselves, and the style’s effortless appearance. We are excited to see their individual style shine through their choices.”
The winner of the Second Annual Best Dressed Somm Contest will be announced on-site at the Penfolds House reception and, in addition to national and local notoriety as “The Penfolds and GQ Best Dressed Somm 2015,” will receive a special winner’s package that includes:
- Coverage in a promotion listing in a future GQ print issue
- Private styling session with GQ‘s Executive Stylist, Brett Fahlgren
- Announcement in a national Penfolds/GQ joint press release
- Exposure to national and local media and high-profile influencers at the House of Penfolds on October 21, 2015
For more information and official contest rules, visit www.Penfolds.com/GQBestDressedSomm.