This is a re-published article. Find the original at Huffington Post here.
As we enter a new year, there are many things to keep in mind: mantras to live by, resolutions to make, new goals to set. But January is also a great time to take stock of the things we’re wasting time, energy and stress on, and to, in the oft-quoted words of Elsa from “Frozen”: “Let it go.”
Below are 21 things we are going to stop giving a shit about in 2015. What would you add?
1. Juice cleanses. Let’s call a spade a spade and acknowledge that cleansing is less about health than about quick weight loss — and if that’s really your goal, there are healthier, longer-lasting ways to go about it. Solid foods FTW.
2. Wearing matching socks. One day we may find the land of lost single socks. But today is not that day.
3. Making plans with people you don’t actually want to see, to do things you don’t want to do. Obligation relationships aren’t good for anyone. And even if someone you adore is inviting you out, if you’d rather eat your own hand than go clubbing, it’s probably best to just say no.
4. People who don’t understand why Queen Bey’s feminism is important.Bye, haters.
5. Worrying about finding “the one.” More doing fun things, less stressing about one’s single status.
6. Breaking the Internet. If it ain’t broke, why break it?
7. Getting tons of “likes” on Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. Better to ‘gram your avocado toast and sunsets for your own enjoyment, “likes” be damned.
8. Anything “Princeton Mom” says. Single ladies don’t need her brand of “straight talk.” Neither do rape survivors, or any other women, for that matter.
9. FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). We’d rather focus on truly enjoying the things we are doing.
10. Being embarrassed about wearing yoga pants in public. Look, they’re comfy.
11. Losing that last five pounds. So many things taste better than skinny feels.
12. Wearing shoes that aren’t comfortable. Hobbling around in pain makes any experience about 100x less pleasant.
13. Worrying that a romantic relationship doesn’t check all the boxes on every “179,000 Ways To Know You’re In The Right Relationship” list on the Internet.
14. Feeling guilty about going to bed early. True love means never having to apologize for your REM cycles.
15. Feeling guilty about staying in bed late on a weekend day. Clearly, we just really love sleep.
16. Not “putting yourself out there” in ways that your (well-meaning) friends and family think you should be. If there’s something truly worth “getting out” for, you’ll be motivated.
17. Eating gluten-free. Unless, of course, you are actually allergic to gluten.
18. Planning something *~#epic~* for every birthday. Embrace simplicity. Day drinking at a bar or BBQing at a park can be just as fun (if not more fun) than having an expensive 28-person dinner followed by five other complicated activities.
19. Walking more Fitbit steps each day than your Fitbit “friends.” Exercise is wonderful for your physical and mental health. We’d rather use that as the motivation than competing with or “beating” our friends.
20. People who don’t give a shit about you. Again… bye, haters.
21. Trying to make everyone happy all of the time. Do what you can, and forgive yourself the rest. And perhaps take some time to focus on making yourself happy.
Happy 2015, y’all!