Terry Barber: The dog didn’t just eat my paper, he busted my I-pad! via @InspirationBlvd
Have you ever had one of those restless nights? I recently had one of those where I was fast asleep at 9:00 p.m. and around 1:00, heard the crash of my I-pad falling from the nightstand to the floor. I blamed it on the dog but can’t for sure swear by that. It was alarming enough to keep me awake until the alarm went off at 4:00.
Interesting thing happened during those three hours of total silence. I started mapping my mind… you know, my thoughts. Took out my journal and frantically began writing down all the things that were coming to mind. I actually got entertained looking at all this stuff flowing onto paper. It was a great teachable moment! First some basic observations and then the lessons learned:
1. T.V. and infomercials really do suck between the hours of 1:00-4:00. (Maybe you could leave me a reco for next time if you think differently).
2. Dogs can snore.
3. The things I was worried about wanted to dominate the flow of thinking.
4. Once I got focused on a particular problem to solve or focused on an opportunity to develop, it was exhilarating.
And what did I learn?
1. I can control my mood based on what I choose to focus on and I can create focus by writing and/or mapping it out on paper.
2. I can control worry by getting to what might be the worst case scenario in my mind, and then, by faith, know that even if the worst happens, it is still O.K. We are a part of a bigger picture than just what we can personally see.
3. Getting congruency between who I am, what I believe, what I do, and how I live makes me a confident and persuasive and keeps my mind from going into unproductive places when things are quiet.
And for all those who are still gasping about my busted I-pad…. it’s O.K. My friends at Apple saw fit to replace it!
To friend and follow Terry Barber and his Inspiration Blvd:
To friend and follow this article’s author Joe Wehinger:
For more inspirational news, please register. It’s FREE and relatively painless.