Thanksgiving, Black Friday Ecommerce Sales Up reports HookLogic
Thanksgiving and Black Friday 2016 saw more shoppers than ever before make purchases on major retail sites according to insights from HookLogic — the pioneer of performance marketing for brands. Shoppers on Thanksgiving were up 16.1% and purchasers2 were up 9.8% Year Over Year (YOY). Black Friday shoppers and purchasers were up 18.5% and 15.2% respectively, compared to Black Friday in 2015.
Further insights from HookLogic, who sees more than 91 billion searches a year on many of the world’s largest retail sites, include:
- On Thanksgiving, ecommerce shoppers peaked at 7PM – 10PM EST, as consumers finished their dinners and got back to researching purchases.
- Purchasers on Thanksgiving peaked from 9PM – 11PM EST.
- The Thanksgiving peak shopping hour on mobile was 9PM EST as shoppers were likely away from their computers and spending time with family earlier in the day.
- Average Black Friday cart size was 3.1 products per cart, with an average cart value of $150.
- Black Friday mobile phone cart size was equal to that on desktop: 3.1; average cart value was $125, compared to $152 on desktop.
“We’re excited for our brand and retail partners this holiday season as they again see significant online and mobile sales lifts,” said HookLogic Co-founder and CEO Jonathan Opdyke. “This year, we believe the fact that several major retailers closed on Thanksgiving, had a positive impact on ecommerce sales. It also shifted some sales to Black Friday. With the number of ecommerce shoppers increasing by 18.5% and continuing gains expected, retailers appear to be kicking off the largest ecommerce season in history.”
With more shoppers making purchases via mobile phones, marketers need to enable seamless online shopping. HookLogic Sponsored Products are a way to guide shopper choice and increase product sales for brands on the mobile and desktop sites, as well as apps of the world’s largest retailers.