AI Architects: The Path to Zero Net Energy – Part One: Seeing the whole system
The first step in our green masterplan for St Elmo was one we take very deliberately in all our projects:
It is to carefully analyze the existing conditions and identify ALL opportunities for improvement – making it a point to look beyond the requests immediately put in front of us by the client.
In this case, we knew there was more to this project than the call for a solar system. The underlying, far more complex desire of the Village was to become a model for a sustainable community.
Consequently, our analysis included all the ways in which we humans affect our environment, and determine how sustainable our existence really is:
- Water Use (domestic and landscaping),
- Energy Use (for machinery and daily use),
- Material Use (resources),
- Climate (heating+cooling),
- Food (production and surplus),
- Waste (treated as a resource),
- Community Dynamics (teaching, learning and sharing)
For more on Aleks Istanbullu Architects, please visit their blog.